Old 08-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Vox Humana

Default help with boxwoods

"John Bachman" wrote in message
On 07 May 2003 20:12:35 GMT, (SBHCOM) wrote:

My boxwoods came out of this winter looking really shabby (I may have
fertilized too much in the fall). The shrubs are a yellow color but

under
close inspection I found that the top 1 or 2 inches are yellow and the

leaves
underneath are green. So my question is should I trim the top couple

inches
off the shrubs or just leave them alone and hope they turn green

You did not give your zone but I presume that you are in 5 or less.
Boxwoods are subject to winter damage caused by drying of the leaves.
Application of an anti-dessicant in late fall or early winter usually
deals with the issue.

The problem is that the anti-dessicant must be applied as late as
possible and on a day of 40 degrees + temperature. I do all of my
broadleaf evergreens in mid-November to be sure I got some on and then
try for another application in Decembe if possible.

I am in zone 6b. I think it was a combination of cold and dry with little
snow cover that did it.