Old 08-05-2003, 03:32 PM
jcart003

Default Plant Melon Seeds in Mounds?

This bit of "folk wisdom" is really from folks who don't know what a
"hill" is! Putting the plants on a raised mound won't do a thing for
the plants, except make them more suceptible to drying out to much
when first planted. A hill just means plant the seeds in groups spaced
apart, as opposed to in a row. Since you are wise enough to use drip
and bury the line I assume(!) you don't have much problem with excess
water, the only concievable reason that a mound might actually help,
and in that case it won't since the water will wick up to the plants
and rot the roots anyway. So plant them in the plain flat soil and
they will be very happy!
Now advice, melons love heat and anything under 55 will make them
decidedly unhappy and likely set them back a lot, so WAIT till the
weather is consistantly warm. If it is nice and warm they grow like
weeds, if they get set back they never take off (if you live in the
north disregard this, but then you are slighly nuts to try and grow
melons in the north). If you can hold back the water a week or so
before the melons ripen, it helps sweeten them.
Good luck.

(Fleemo) wrote in message . com...
I plan on growing melons this year, and have heard it's a good idea to
plant them in small mounds of dirt. I happen to water my garden with
a drip line, which is buried an inch or two beneath the soil surface.
This being the case, wouldn't planting the seeds in a mound prevent
the seeds from getting water?