Old 08-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Aaron Baugher

Default Vegetables for acid reflux sufferers?

"TomC" writes:

Gardening time is here, but this year we have a problem. The wife
has acid reflux disease. We planted tomatos, peppers, green beans,
lettuce, spinach, zuccini, and a few other things in the past. We
were really big into tomatos and peppers..would you believe :-( Can
anyone suggest different varieties that have a low acid content or
some ideas about vegetables to plant that would be more tolerable
for the wife. TIA.

I used to have terrible acid reflux, bad enough to wake me up at
nights. I completely eliminated it by eating a low-carb diet. It's
like flipping a switch -- a couple days of low-carb and the burning
was gone; a couple days of popcorn and ice cream and it's back.

As long as I keep my diet free of high-carb items like sugar, bread,
potatoes, and corn, I can eat all the vegetables I want, including
acidic ones like tomatoes and peppers. Vegetables taste better and
are more nutritious anyway.

--
Aaron