Old 08-05-2003, 05:20 PM
KR

Default cotoneaster (horizontalis?)

Hi everyone, this is my first posting to this group! I live in
Newfoundland, Canada (zone 5) and have a question...

We bought a new house in December, so at the time couldn't see any
plants since they were covered with snow! To my delight, the garden
is coming to life before my very eyes!

I've always been an avid vegetable gardener, but have never had the
opportunity to deal with flowers before since I lived with my folks
before! I am trying now to identify some of the flora around our
house. I believe that I have a cotoneaster, but I'm really not sure.
I don't have a picture handy so will give a short description:

Right now (the snow is just finishing melting) it has a variety of
deep purple and green leaves. There are bright red berries on it in
places, I figured they were left from last year. It grows from one
central place and spreads over the garden, it seems to dig in wherever
it moves and is quite difficult to just lift the branches and move
them out of the way. They are all rooted into the ground!

It seems like it will soon become quite invasive to other plants in
the garden so I'd like to really trim it back, possibly grow some
plants from the clippings. I also wonder if it is possible to "force"
it to climb up the tall trees that are in our garden... I hope that
someone here can help me!

Thanks,