Old 08-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Sue

Default Converting Lawn Into Planting Beds

I moved my garden from a neighboring field into a corner of my yard which
was a well established lawn for 35 years. I decided on a 16'X24' plot and
surrounded it with non-arsenic treated 4'X4' posts to serve as a border.
First I tilled the lawn using my 6 HP tiller and followed with my 1.5 HP
mini tiller which made mince-meat out of the remaining sod clumps. The only
hint of having been a lawn before were a few blades of grass minus any
roots in the soil which have already decomposed. I planted it this Spring
and all is doing fine and as weed-free as my old garden was without having
to put forth any extra effort of removing the sod, hauling in new soil,
mulching or waiting for another season to plant.