Old 08-05-2003, 06:32 PM
dave weil

Default Species Roses

On Thu, 08 May 2003 14:06:11 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .
In article 00e8cfb0af891c031b20a6028b4fa274@TeraNews, Theo Asir
wrote:

Friend of mine lives out in the country in a well wooded Hilly
Scrubland. Zone 5.

She would love to have some large roses. Once bloomers are fine.
She's not particularly good @ watering or maintenance but we get
at least 50 inches of rain every year.

I have so far recommended R. Mulliganii R. Rugosa Alba & Rubra R.
Brunonii 'La Mortola'

She would love tree eating varieties.

I know Mortola is probably iffy but its worth a shot.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Someone will have to grow these up to at least 5 gallon for her. I
don't see how they would ever establish without watering in the summer
until they get to be a reasonable size.

Chevy Chase (forms a huge shrub here, easy to start in the fall)

Is this a fend for itself shrub?

Darlow's Enigma (Very unusual plant, species-hybrid looking, growing
like a weed)

not quite tree eater.
Do you know if its patented?
I could root a cutting.

Kiftsgate

tender

Canary Bird (it's yellow)

Z6 & too thorny?

Rosa Setigera (gotta

Possible.

have it - isn't it native?) Rosa Soulieana (my favorite species at the
San Jose Heritage Rose Garden)

You guys *knew* that I had to throw in my favorite (and only) species
rose, R. eglanteria (Sweet Briar).

Here's the link of my photo gallery again. You'll find pics starting
at number 47 - just use the drop down menu. 47 is the first bloom of
this season, on or about 4.21. It's still loaded with blooms, so I
figure that it's good for a good month of blooming from start to
finish. The last shot, number 52, shows it approximately the same time
in May last year (its second season). The size? About 3 1/2 feet by 7
ft.

Yes, it's a once bloomer and it's *very* thorny. Makes a great hedge.
As you can see, it's a fast grower as well...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/index.htm

Here are two shots from today.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...riar5.8.03.jpg

This angle shows a width of 16 feet. Height is about 6 1/2 feet.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...iar5.8.03a.jpg

This angle shows a width of 10 feet. As you can tell, it's sort of
oblong, with the wide side growing due east facing the sun directly.