Old 08-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12

Default Rubber Mulch!!

Since it is organic, even rubber is eventually biodegradable by the actions
of bacteria. Seen it happen in landfills.

However, I would not want to use what results as a soil for growing plants.
The stuff is apparently toxic and most weeds won't even grow in it.

How did ground rubber get approved for use as mulch anyway?

pelirojaroja wrote in message
One of the things I like best about the shredded mulch that we use is that
it turns into rich, black dirt in a year or two. I have the deepest,
blackest and most fertile beds because of the compost action of the mulch.
Earthworm city -- they love it. Yes, it does mean that I have to put more
mulch on each year -- but that's maybe only an afternoon or two of work --
and what a great way to get nice soil!

I can't imagine the lava rock (or the rubber) being anywhere near as good.
Yes, it would last longer -- forever, I guess. But what a waste of
opportunity for making more fertile soil!

--
-- pelirojaroja
"dangerous redhead"
"Vox Humana" wrote in message
Maybe I don't get out much, but a few days ago I was browsing the garden
department at Lowe's and found some bags of rubber mulch. It was quite
expensive - around $10 for 2 cubic feet, as I recall. I found the idea

sort
of disturbing. I didn't bother to look at the bag, but I assume that

the
mulch is made from old tires. The label touted the fact that you would

only
have to use this product once, unlike conventional mulch that has to be
applied every year or two. Someone use that pine nugget mulch on some

of
the beds at my house and it never seems to disappear no matter how hard

try to rid myself of it. I can't even imagine using rubber. What

happens
when you need to plant something? It seems you would have to carefully
remove it if you wanted to improve the soil. Oh well, I guess it

probably
isn't any worse than the red volcanic rock than the people up the street

use
around their shrubs - or is it?