Old 08-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Wild Garlic

In article ,
BAC wrote:

Interesting discussion between you two, but I doubt the average citizen has
any idea what's in the WCA etc., nor has much/any fear of sanctions.

While I agree with that, making things illegal (or the converse!) has
a long-term effect by percolation through the people that do know.
Not always the desired effect, of course ....

Personally, I think that education of people to appreciate why they might be
doing harm taking plants would be a better long term bet than the creation
of yet more rules and regulations. Nick, of course, might think educating
people to take plants more appropriate - I would agree that if the plants in
question are 'doomed' in their existing location, there is little to be
lost, and perhaps something to be gained, by relocating them to a more
secure location where they might thrive.

Yes. I would actually put it that I believe in educating people when
and how to take plants, and most definitely when and how not to!

For example, taking a few things like ramsons, bluebells, tipped-in
blackberries or most tree seedlings is fine, but taking even one
orchid isn't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.