Old 08-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Verbena bonariensis.....?!

From: oway (Tyra Trevellyn)
Date: Wed, May 7, 2003 3:15 PM

snip

Could I possibly have (literally) ten thousand V. bonariensis seedlings
in my garden? I know the plant is a prolific self-seeder but is it really
THAT
prolific?

snip?

OK, folks, thanks.....you've convinced me that this is entirely possible and
more than likely. (The bed in which most of the seedlings are growing is very
dry, sandy-clay soil.) I don't think V. bonariensis is classified as a noxious
weed around here (it won't invade wetlands, for sure) but it just may end up
that way in this garden. Naaaah.

I think what I'll do is lift hunks of the seedling-laden soil and put it in
flats to grow on, with some thinning out. I should have lots of plants to pass
on this summer. I they could travel by mail, but seedlings just wouldn't make
it, I'm afraid. If anyone is going through northern NJ and wants some plants,
get in touch. )

Thanks again.....
best,
Tyra