Old 08-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Getting rid of grass cuttings

The message
from David C contains these words:

Yes I know I can compost them, and I do to some extent, but I have
almost half an acre of formal lawn and only have a few places I can
use the compost, I give much of it away but even so there is just too
much volume of cuttings and the compost bins are full.

I'm currently the happy recipient of the cuttings collected locally by
two mowing contractors; it suits them to have somewhere convenient to
dump it, and I can never have too much for composting and mulching.

You could put a sign by your gate, or in the local paper shop, asking
if any avid composter/mulcher wants to come and collect yours.

Just this weekend we saw another solution in Lochranza, Arran. Someone
was emptying fresh grass cuttings at the roadside just outside his
garden, where they were being snaffled up by a very large, antlered red
deer stag taller than myself. He (the stag) paused briefly as we and our
dog walked past within 3 metres of him, then continued eating. The
surrounding deerforest hills are full of fresh grazing atm so clearly he
just prefers it ready chopped. (The red deer are so many and so bold
there, most Lochranza gardens are surrounded by deer fence..looks like
Alcatraz).

Janet. (Isle of Arran).