Old 09-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] White natty flying bugs

In a message dated 5/8/2003 7:09:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I now have recently discovered 'clouds' of small white flying natty insects
that fly when I disturb the leaves of my bonsai. It seems that they are
found on the underside of the leaves of the trees with new leaves and seem
to avoid conifers. I don't see any feeding damage yet, but they are bound
to be eating something and I want to get rid of them the simplest and
safest way. Is Safer soap the safest product to use against these 'bugs'?
And what are these nasty little critters?

Sounds like "White Fly." They can be a major pest, but flies don't do any
damage, however the larva do. They breed on the underside of leaves. Safer
soap will help but you must spray under the leaves. Follow label directions
for white flies.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --