Old 09-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Hussein M.

Default Wooden Garden Furniture

On Thu, 08 May 2003 09:48:16 +0100, "A.Malhotra"
wrote:

"Hussein M." wrote:

On Wed, 07 May 2003 10:37:36 +0100, "A.Malhotra"
wrote:

Teak from Indonesia can be pretty much guaranteed to be
plantation sourced rather than from natural forests (the only natural
stands of teak are in Thailand, Burma and maybe Laos) so you don't have to
worry too much about your furniture contributing to forest destruction.

I beg to differ. I was in Kalimantan just, was it?, (seems like a
dream now) last year.

I did say TEAK. Teak is not a tropical rainforest species. It grows in
seasonal areas, and in Indonesia largely comes from Java. No doubt natural
forest was destroyed to make way for the plantations, but that was many
decades, if not centuries ago, and the teak plantations are still much
better habitat for many types of woldlife than the alternatives (these days
teak plantations are tending to be replaced by oil palm, which makes a
pretty sterile environment).

Ok. You seem to have checked your facts. Whatever wood it is, if it
is a hardwood it took a very long time to grow. Do you think a stand
of trees slowly accumulating 'money' would not be a target for greed
and corruption. Granted that cutting a swathe of teak is not as bad as
cutting a swathe of the indigenous hardwoods but even so, it's the
only kid on that block and it took him year upon year ...

.... and are you sure someone has whips to plant in their place?

As I said "grow your own". Apparently from a later post we are rather
good at it.

Huss
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.