Old 09-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Colin Davidson

Default Wild Garlic

"BAC" wrote in message

Interesting discussion between you two, but I doubt the average citizen

has
any idea what's in the WCA etc., nor has much/any fear of sanctions.
Personally, I think that education of people to appreciate why they might

be
doing harm taking plants would be a better long term bet than the creation
of yet more rules and regulations. Nick, of course, might think educating
people to take plants more appropriate - I would agree that if the plants

in
question are 'doomed' in their existing location, there is little to be
lost, and perhaps something to be gained, by relocating them to a more
secure location where they might thrive.

Education, especially getting people out to see what's growing all around
them, is never a waste (but you know my attitude on that already).

And I agree, if the site is doomed anyway it's better to let people in to
salvage what's there.

I'm afraid, though, that I've seen to many sites damaged by people wanting
plants for their gardens to believe that some kind of legislation isn't
justified; and this flawed bit of law is thus far the best we have.