Old 09-05-2003, 09:32 AM
A.Malhotra

Default Mombretia

Judy Rigby wrote:

Rick McGreal writes
I hope I have spelt that right....

Anyone know how to curb this little runaway?
Its spread quicker than ground elder!

I don't want to get rid of it all....Just to stop it from spreading!

The only good point is that it looks quite nice!

Montbretia ? That they're now calling crocosmia for some reason ? I
just dig/pull mine out from wherever it comes up that I don't want it.
It is pretty invasive, but not that difficult to keep in check ...

As I understand it Crocosmia is the generic name which applies to the all
varieties including Lucifer and Ember Glow, and Montbretia is the old
variety that is the most common and weed-like ie the bright orange one.
Once you have it, you have it, it can be really difficult to get all the
corms out of a patch of ground....I tried! But its so useful for a patch of
colour in dark spots where nothing else will grow, how could you grudge it
that?

Anita