Old 09-05-2003, 12:08 PM
LeighMo

Default thinking about getting baby's tears...any suggestions?

Hmmm. So maybe I've been cutting the Hygros back too little. I only cut
about 2-3 inches off the tops...so your saying that if I cut it back, say
half or more it'll become much more bushier?

Yes. I've seen people make small "bushes" out of Hygro, by trimming it
regularly. The trick is to trim often -- before the bottom gets straggly. It
will still grow back, even if there's nothing left but bare stem, but it
doesn't look very good for awhile.

In one of Amano's books, he demonstrates how he prunes his plants. He just
cuts them straight across, at about 3" above the substrate. They grow back
even bushier. (This only works for certain plants. But it does work for
Hygro.)

Babytears probably won't grow as a hedge or ground cover for you. You don't
have enough light. It may grow like a stem plant, but more likely, the base of
the stems will rot, and the plant will end up a floating plant. It will grow
insanely fast that way -- almost as bad as duckweed.

Leigh