Old 09-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Colin Davidson

Default Nasty mushroom thing

"Anthony E Anson" wrote in message

I often dry mushrooms which don't rehydrate well. I grind them to a
coarse meal in a coffee grinder and add them to soups, stews, casseroles
etc.

I've done that with dried chicken of the woods and other dried polypores,
but as I think one of the finest qualities of these mushrooms is their meaty
texture I think that's a shame. For those ones I find freezing better. I
normally only dry mushrooms that rehydrate well in stews and soups (so the
last batch I dried was Saint Georges mushrooms).

Powdered dried honey fungus is marvellous for thickening a dish, but if
you're not careful can give it a slimy texture too.

A good idea. I might try it. Currently I'm using my experimental dried giant
puffball chunks in more or less that way, and they impart a tremendous
flavour to a dish.