Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
John Rutz

Default Do you understand about algae?

Sam Hopkins wrote:
I've learned a lot over the past few years about algae, both by dealing with
aquariums and also by owning a large pond (6 acres). I thought I'd pass this
information along.
SNIP
Plants also need a carbon source. They can use sodium carbonate that is
located in the water by splitting the atom. This is why your water hardness
(KH) drops over time (and your PH drops) if you don't change the water.
Plants prefer CO2 as a source of carbon. If you didn't know, CO2 is the fizz
in soda pop. A common trick that pond owners do is use a fountain or
waterfall to "shake" the water up and bubble out all of the CO2 from the
water to limit algae growth. You'll notice that around fountains there
usually isn't any algae growing.
Hope this helps.

Sam

odd reasoning to me here now I have a waterfall, and two
"fountains" plus an outlet pipe in the pond,
all three cause the water as you say to shake up
The greatest growth of string algae and also the only growth of algae
is where the water flows the fastest Ie: the foutains, water fall
and outlet

so if you are right ??????????????

--

John Rutz