Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Do you understand about algae?

John,

Algae is a strange thing isn't it? Just because you aerate your water
doesn't mean there's no CO2 (or carbon) in it, some still exists. Nor does
it mean that with aeration you wont have algae. I would think that your pond
has very low CO2 and this area of heavy current would be the place where the
CO2 is the highest concentration because it would be delivered to or flow by
the algae at a high speed. Sort of the same effect as sucking hot coffee
through a straw, the heat gets concentrated to an area. At other areas the
current is slower and thus less carbon is delivered to a pinpoint area.

Sam

"John Rutz" wrote in message

Sam Hopkins wrote:
I've learned a lot over the past few years about algae, both by dealing

with
aquariums and also by owning a large pond (6 acres). I thought I'd pass

this
information along.
SNIP
Plants also need a carbon source. They can use sodium carbonate that is
located in the water by splitting the atom. This is why your water

hardness
(KH) drops over time (and your PH drops) if you don't change the water.
Plants prefer CO2 as a source of carbon. If you didn't know, CO2 is the

fizz
in soda pop. A common trick that pond owners do is use a fountain or
waterfall to "shake" the water up and bubble out all of the CO2 from the
water to limit algae growth. You'll notice that around fountains there
usually isn't any algae growing.
Hope this helps.

Sam

odd reasoning to me here now I have a waterfall, and two
"fountains" plus an outlet pipe in the pond,
all three cause the water as you say to shake up
The greatest growth of string algae and also the only growth of algae
is where the water flows the fastest Ie: the foutains, water fall
and outlet

so if you are right ??????????????

--

John Rutz