Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Plant Identification

"Ronald wrote in message
The one in the centre is a Cordyline australis "bronze" variety.
The plant at the back with the blue flowers looked like Ceanothus until I
looked at the closeup, then it looked like a Solanum crispum.
The fir trees look like the dreaded Leylandii to me.

Thanks for the reply, I've been reading various gardening groups and
Leylandi grow to enormous proportions by all accounts, should I take
these out? Or can they be trimmed to maintain their current height?

In that size garden I would, without doubt, take them out. Even if you want
some form of "fir tree" there are some far finer plants you could use
instead.
Leylandi can be trimmed but never look good in the way a Yew hedge would and
there are other alternatives, indeed the Ceanothus I mentioned earlier can
make a fine light hedge if trimmed appropriately.
The only thing Leylandi have going for them is they are quick growing,
however they don't ever stop growing either, I've heard a rumour of some
over 100ft tall and still growing! :-(

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.