Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Self seeding vegatables ??

"Jonathan wrote in message
..
The problem comes if the variety you first buy is an F1, this seed is
produced every time by a first cross between two distinct varieties so

it's
first generation seed of a new variety giving hybrid vigour but because

it's
not had the generations to stabilise it will produce seed of mixed type,
some plants of each of the two original parents and some of various

mixtures
between the two which is not good.

If you want to save seed try to avoid F1 varieties. Try Thomas Etty Esq

who
sell seed of heritage varieties none of which will be F1.

I thought that F1 hybrids were infertile, which is why the orange tree my

son
grew from seed, which grows in greenhouse, has never flowered in 12 years.

Is
this true?
--

No. They flower and produce seed but it's just a right mixture and only a
few will be the same as the original plant.

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.