Old 09-05-2003, 07:20 PM
KR

Default cotoneaster (horizontalis?) HELP!

Thanks, I will remember all of that, as I've been thinking of
attempting a transplantation to an area where we have a pretty drab
retaining wall. I saw that picture before but it is difficult to say
as right now there are no berries and since our snow just melted most
of the leaves are a deep purple color. I'm going to try posting some
pictures in case someone has a better idea!

Thanks,

Pam wrote in message ...
KR wrote:

hmmm, maybe it isn't cotoneaster then. I cut off a rather large part
yesterday, and the growing "arms" have root systems growing into the
ground. It is definately a creeping plant in my garden, it is
surrounding rocks, wrapped around trees, it is going to be difficult
to tame. I've been thinking about digging it up and moving it to a
better location in my garden, It really doesn't have that much room to
grow without interfering with other plants.

If someone can help me identify the plant, I can send a couple of
pictures via email?? I have them on my digital camera and can
download them onto my work computer after the weekend...

Is this similar?
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p...hotoa/A370.jpg

Cotoneaster horizontalis is a creeping groundcover form of cotoneaster and can indeed root along the stems if
they touch soil, as can C. dammeri, which is another possibility for your specific plant. If well established,
these plants can be quite congested and smother other plants in their path, plus they are the devil to remove,
specially from rockeries. They also tend to get cotoneaster webworms which can decimate the plant and they
usually look pretty ratty after a few years. If horizontalis abuts a solid surface (like a wall) it will tend
to climb upwards and can reach heights of 6-10' in this type of location. If grown in an open, flat or sloped
area, an individual plant can attain a spread of 5-8 feet (as can dammeri) and form an attractive tiered
cascade. Nice plant in the right location.

pam - gardengal