Old 09-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Rachel Sullivan

Default Scented Clematis

In article , Rick McGreal
writes
Rachel Sullivan wrote in
:

Quite a few montanas are scented. Elizabeth, Alexander, Fragrant
Spring, Odorata, rubens (East Malling form)[1], Tetrarose, Entel,
Jacqui, Mayleen, Pink Perfection, Wilsonii, (chocolate) Vera &
possibly others.

Does anyone know if these will grow in a shady north-west facing plot with
good drainage?

How shady? Are we talking coal hole here, or fairly light but not
direct sun?

And how good drainage? Sahara dry, or retentive but not waterlogged?
If it's dry, dig some decent stuff in there & make sure you keep a
clematis well watered (especially when it's getting established).

I need something (A nice climber perhaps) near the front door to fill in a
small trianglar plot.....At the moment I have a few heathers.....But its
looking a little empty....ANd I wanmt something taller at the back....

You could try a montana, (they aren't desperately expensive, so wouldn't
hurt too much if it failed) but the scented ones do best & the fragrance
is more obvious if they get some sunshine. There are lot of clematis
that want shady/dappled shade though, generally the pale varieties that
bleach out in the sun. Nelly Moser for instance, Silver Moon & the (one
of) the new Chelsea launches, 'Paradise Queen' - very Nellyish but with
pearly-white flowers in the autumn. Lots more - think pale delicate
colours.

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site