Old 09-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Do you understand about algae?

Your water will always contain co2 but it will be lower in concentration if
you aerate. Do a test. Measure your KH and your PH after your fountains and
waterfalls have been off for a day and then use these to calculate your CO2
with the chart at
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm . Then turn your
fountains and waterfall on for a day, retest and recompare to the chart.
You'll see your Co2 level will have dropped.

Sam

"John Rutz" wrote in message

Sam Hopkins wrote:
John,

Algae is a strange thing isn't it? Just because you aerate your

water
doesn't mean there's no CO2 (or carbon) in it, some still exists. Nor

does
it mean that with aeration you wont have algae. I would think that your

pond
has very low CO2 and this area of heavy current would be the place where

the
CO2 is the highest concentration because it would be delivered to or

flow by
the algae at a high speed. Sort of the same effect as sucking hot coffee
through a straw, the heat gets concentrated to an area. At other areas

the
current is slower and thus less carbon is delivered to a pinpoint area.

Sam

ah then the high concetration of CO2 in our water doesnt make it into my

pond?, somewhere between th
pump and pond (direct 1 in line) I loose the co2

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

before you criticise someone
walk a mile in thier shoes