Old 09-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Merlin

Default Gooseberry problems

In article , Rod
wrote:

"Merlin" wrote in message
For the last couple of years (ie including now) my gooseberries have a
brown grey coating. The bushes themselves seems heathy. Can anyone
suggest what it might be please and - better still - tell me how to fix
it for next year?

Resistant varieties are the way to go.
http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/dc6.htm

I don't know if you've used the mildewed fruit?
There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't. Fairly vigourous washing in
cold water removes the mould - it's all on
the surface. I know it's a pain but you don't have to miss out on the fruit.
I can't remember the modern varieties we have that don't get much mildew but
a couple of older ones that seem OK are
Lancashire Lad and Crown Bob.

Thanks Rod, yes I have used (some of) the fruit and you are right: it
IS a pain!

How can I be sure that it is mildew and not something else - any
distinguishing features? Or is what I have descrbed unambiguously
mildew?

Is there really nothing else to be done but replace the bushes with a
resistant variety?

Merlin