Old 10-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Colin Malsingh

Default Too late to sow chillis?

| Thanks for the reply. Why wouldn't you bother with sweet peppers? I

They typically need a longer and hotter growing season.

OK. I'll sow some today and let you know how they get on. I've only got
£1.20 to lose...

Yes, I agree! I am going to try sweet peppers this year in both my
greenhouse and under plastic on my allotment.

I don't think you'll get much other than under-ripe green sweet
peppers just grown outside in the UK. Mind you, I am also going to try
growing okra (from Marshalls) in my greenhouse too, so I might just be
being optimistic.

I had limited success with okra a couple of years ago, with seed we
bought back from the West Indies (it probably expcted different
conditions to what's available in "sunny" Bristol).

Finally, you asked for sources of seeds - I can vouch for Simspon
Seeds that someone else mentioned (01985 845004,
). I have bought their seeds and plants for
several years and they've all done well. I also have quite a few seeds
left over and can post them if you want.

Finally, don't restrict yourself to your greenhouse. Make use of spare
windowsills for any extra chilli plants. The extra warmth indoors may
help ripen them and give you a higher overall yield than just the
greenhouse.