Old 10-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Andrew G

Default Animal grasscutter?

"Cynthia" wrote in message
u...
Does anyone know if there are any native animals which one can attract

into
the graden which eat grass only - and not the other plants in the garden.

I'm looking for something which will keep the grass short and save me from
having to mow it myself :-)

If there is such a creature, would you know if it comes with it's own set

of
problems and how to keep them under control?

The only ones I can think of would be wallabies. But the lawn has to get a
little long for them to want to eat it. I doubt they would eat the whole
lawn anyway (imagining "average sized lawn"), and if they did manage it,
then you would have to wait a while for it to get long again. Also they
would probably do a fair bit of damage.
I know Indian Hawthorn is plant of choice for them at work, along with what
we call "Kangaroo" food. Not sure of real name, but they love it. The also
indulge in eating other plants.
It would really be more hassle than what it's worth.
A goat would be good, but it too would do damage elsewhere.
Along the lines of what Len said.
Get a lawnmower or reduce the size of the lawn by putting in gardens.
But putting in more gardens could mean more edges, more possible fiddly
mowing.

Good luck

Cynthia.