Old 10-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Siew Hong

Default Growing Vanda's in the tropics

If you are looking for literature on growing orchids in the tropics, look
for the book by the same name, published by the Orchid Society of South East
Asia. You can get it from Amazon, as well as Timber Press

Generally, vandas need high humidity and they dislike having their roots
suffocated. The best vandas are grown in Thailand, over water. The roots
dangle 4 or 5 feet and just touch the surface of the water.

The amount of shade required depends on the type of vanda you intend to
grow. The terete vandas require almost full sun whereas the strap leaved
vandas are very happy with 50% shading. As mentioned, I don't think it is
the sun as much as the humidity that is the determining factor. Try growing
your vandas in baskets over trays of water.

Regards

Siew Hong

On 4/25/03 7:14 PM, in article , "Dicky"
wrote:

I suggest you these all ideas:
Sunlight: shaded 30-40%
Water: 1 time/2thimes a day.(if you use wooden frame)
Fertilizers: use chemical fertilizerNPK=7-6-19 every 1 week.
Regards,
Dicky

"TheBoss"
Is anyone in this group successfully growing especially Vanda's
outside in the tropics. If so, what is your fertilizer frequency, and
also are they exposed to full sun all day or are they shaded at times.
I am very new to growing orchids, and reading literature made for
cooler climates don't seem helpful. With no winter, do we change
fertilizers and water anytime during the year. Finally how do they
handle the rainy season, any special preperations. I many interested
in growing in baskets.
Regards
Curtis