Old 10-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Compostman

Default eggshells

We dry egg shells in the oven after it's been used for cooking. Then crush
them, and when we have a lot, we run them through a blender, then use on
plants that like a higher pH (most vegetables). Egg shells don't really
compost. I think they're calcium carbonate, which, I believe is the same
thing as lime. I think they're too valuable just to put in the compost,
plus who wants to look at eyeballs every time the compost pile is turned.
--
Compostman
Washington, DC
"Peggy" wrote in message
I'm just getting into this composting thing, and I heard if you add
eggshells, you have to peel out the membrane inside all of them prior to
adding - is this true? I'm a pastry chef and have lots of shells every
week - can you add too many shells?
Thanks for any input.
Peg