Old 10-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Kay Easton

Default Too late to sow chillis?

In article , Colin Malsingh
writes

| Thanks for the reply. Why wouldn't you bother with sweet peppers? I

They typically need a longer and hotter growing season.

OK. I'll sow some today and let you know how they get on. I've only got
£1.20 to lose...

Yes, I agree! I am going to try sweet peppers this year in both my
greenhouse and under plastic on my allotment.

I don't think you'll get much other than under-ripe green sweet
peppers just grown outside in the UK. Mind you, I am also going to try
growing okra (from Marshalls) in my greenhouse too, so I might just be
being optimistic.

I've grown it on a windowsill with no problem. Main thing is to pick
them young! - they have a great capacity for going stringy.

Finally, don't restrict yourself to your greenhouse. Make use of spare
windowsills for any extra chilli plants. The extra warmth indoors may
help ripen them and give you a higher overall yield than just the
greenhouse.

'extra warmth'? My greenhouse is quite capable of hitting 120 deg F!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: