Old 10-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Kari

Default My pine tree

I have lived on this property for approximately 2 years, and know relatively
little about it soil wise.

I had a pine tree which was located uncomfortably close to a poplar tree; we
are talking less than 5 feet here. I couldn't move the pine, it's at least
20 to 30 feet in height, the poplar much taller.

This year the pine died. It seemed quite sudden to the neighbors and I, but
I can't be sure. You get so used to glancing at something, you don't look
very closely until the situation is explosive.

I know that these trees sit in a drain easement, according to the property
deed, and it makes sense looking at the layout of the land.

None of the other trees are affected, including the poplar. It's just fine.
But the pine is this grotesque shade of red/brown.

Could it be that the poplar choked it out? My husband is suspecting poison
through the drain easement, but I would think that the poplar would be
somewhat affected.

The tree is not in harms way if it falls in a storm, and I am half tempted
to leave it there for the wild life that appreciate dead trees (We have a
huge Bald Eagle population here and other Raptores) after reading the
natural resource page to this state and the Audubon society page.