Old 10-05-2003, 05:08 PM
MC Emily

Default Branch growing below the graft

Anthony E Anson wrote:
Thanks, Sarah. I thought I'd heard that I should do that. Will I
be able to grow the sucker into a tree and, if so, how do I do it?

You can, but it's not likely to be worthwhile, and may not even have
fruit at all.

The stem/trunk and suckers are just a vigorous rootstock to provide
lots of sap to feed the (hopefully) large crop of big cherries that
its own roots wouldn't support.

Thanks, I'm going to give it a go anyway. I don't mind it being a
non-productive tree as I have plenty of room for trees and a need for them
for shape in my garden - everything's very flat and open at the moment - so
any tree is good )))

Jaqy