Old 10-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Sacha

Default Steep bank how to plant help please

in article , V6 at
wrote on 10/5/03 5:30 pm:

I'd suggest you plant things like Geranium palmatum if your climate allows,
Hypericum and Vincas

Corsican pine is salt-resistant. Gorse/whin/wuzzy? Hypericum? Certain
ground-cover Rubus?

Arrrhhhh Gorse! I've spent the last 2 years trying to eradicate this stuff
from my property - don't tell me people actually plant it?

I'd suggest you plant things like Geranium palmatum if your climate allows,
Hypericum and Vincas

Many Thanks. None of these names actually mean anything to me yet, but I'll
get onto google and see what they are.
Thanks.
Jan

Scratch the G. palmatum. The wind will decimate it in an exposed site and I
should have thought of that before. But the Hypericum and Vinca are both
possibles. Hypericum is commonly known as St John's Wort and Vinca as
speedwell. There are various kinds of Vinca, with different size leaves,
flowers, colour etc. Some creep, some form mounds, so you'll need a bit of
advice from your local nursery or someone here, if you go for that.
This obviously isn't what you want to hear but if Gorse grows well on that
site, I'd leave it alone and only hack back what you don't want, where you
don't want it. There's a reason sea cliffs are often covered with it!
And of course, for you, it will always be 'kissing time'. ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk