Old 10-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Help! What is this stuff?

From: (Dan)
Date: Sat, May 10, 2003 1:43 PM
On 10 May 2003 10:24:50 -0700,
(Denny) wrote:

... and more importantly, how do I get rid of it?

A couple of years ago it appeared in my garden, then spread to the
grass where it is starting to take over the entire lawn.

It looks like yarrow (a type of herb). It smells best when grown in
poor soils, has almost a thyme-like smell, as if it would be good in
meat dishes. The plants are also commonly grown for their wide array
of colorful flowers.

Dan

Yes, it is yarrow.......Achillea millefolium, most likely, a wildflower native
to Europe but naturalized in N.A., which does appear as a lawn weed under the
right (dry, thin soil) conditions. In fact, it can provide wonderful
groundcover and/or lawn and can be mowed. I collected some from a local lawn
and have been growing it for a few years in a garden bed, where it's quite
lovely and has white flowers in summer. So far, it hasn't escaped and isn't
taking over, but I'm being watchful.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z6b/7a