Old 10-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Rod

Default Steep bank how to plant help please

"V6" wrote in message ...
I have a very steep and large bank area that I have spent a few weeks
burning and removing the roots of dense bramble.
Ideally I'd love to set grass, but there is no way I could mow or even strim
regularly.

I couldn't weed regular tho so shrubs seem out too.

If I was to set wild flowers would I soon get over-run by weeds again?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. By the way the bank overlooks the
sea, so roses and conifers are out!

I'd try and replicate something like a species rich cliff-top grassland. You'll need to do a lot of footwork around
your area to find what does well. Also a lot of homework/webwork to identify and source your plant, tho' many of them
will already be there if you give 'em chance to reestablish. Cutting shouldn't be a very onerous chore once you have the
nutrient levels down and the coarse stuff like brambles out. You will have to remove the cuttings like a hay crop though
to reduce and keep the nutrients down. This is an excellent site to use careful spot spraying with a glyphosate based
weedkiller(Roundup etc) to get rid of persistant coarse weeds. Don't buy any grass seeds just allow the local fine cliff
top grasses to establish/reestablish. Almost any bought mixture will be too competitive and look absolutely wrong in the
bargain. Places like 'Land Life' should be able to advise and supply seeds of the flowering plants you need. If well
done this type of grassland can look stunning, is ecofriendly and a beautiful place to be.

Rod