Old 10-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Tom

Default Keeping cows at bay

Hi everyone

My garden is in Southern Scotland
I've got a laurel hedge between my garden and a field where the farmer keeps
cows. I've been told that laurel is poisonous to cows, so I keep a fine mesh
net to protect the laurel. As a longer term measure, I'm growing holly
between the laurel and the field, but I'm worried that the cows will eat the
holly until it matures
a bit. As a temporary measure, I've sprayed the holly and surrounding area
with a water, detergent and paraffin (gasoline?) mixture.
Does anyone know if the spray will work, or is there a more effective
mixture which the cows hate but won't harm them?

Tom