Old 10-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Drakanthus

Default Sparrows in my garden :)

I don't know what size garden you have but i envy you having few birds.

I'm off birds. I live near Norwich and constant stream of birds,
pigeons, starlings which go out of their way to annoy me and house
sparrows.

I've had to put wire netting on the ground in an attempt to stop the
sparrows dustbathing and messing up my plants.

Mike.

I wanted to encourage birds into my garden, and I started using bird feeders six
months ago with mixed seeds, peanuts and fat balls. The number of birds has
increased enormously. There are often six sparrows on the seed feeder at any one
time. I've also started getting more blackbirds, robins, starlings (they love the
fat balls), thrushes and blue tits.
On the minus side they are eating me out of house and home (seed isn't cheap). On
the plus side I've not had to put any slug pellets down at all yet this year.
There are forever birds running about in the veg plot and under the cabbages. They
must be doing some good.
The only birds that are not welcome are pigeons - they eat my cabbages and other
veg seedlings.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)