Old 11-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Judy and Dave G

Default How do trees reproduce?

Hello everyone

Well, I can certainly speak for the American Elm. It reproduces by seed.
Lots of seed. Lots and lots of seed.

I now have about a trillion little baby elm trees in every flower bed,
flower pot, bare spot, driveway and even the dirt in the bed of the pickup
truck!

(Our home is an old log cabin, circa 1840. There are 2 elms on each side of
the drive and they are wondrous to stand under in the summer. Like a huge,
huge umbrella. Just wonderful. I don't know how old they are, but their
trunks are pretty huge.)

When I read the post that is posted every couple of months I have to smile.
My baby elms are trying their damndest to reproduce! ;o}

Judy

x wrote:
No, it's not that simple. Suggest a trip to the local library and
check out a book on plant propagation. Let's not confuse rooting a
coleus with rooting a cutting from a tree. You can probably stick
thousands of your japanese maple cutting in soil and get rooting on
precisely zero, rootone or no rootone.

As for the guy who said it's not natural, well I certainly do not want
unnatrual acts and unspeakable practices taking place in my garden. I
intend to rally the clout of a senator from PA to propose a law
against it. Asexual reproduction even sounds perverse and certainly
perversity in any form must be against god's laws and must necessarily
be against ours.

Good christians all, we must join forces to stamp out asexual
behaviour or any other kind of sexual behaviour for that matter. If we
don't stop it at plants where will we stop it?

On Wed, 7 May 2003 18:17:38 +0000 (UTC),
(Spud
Demon) wrote:

(Requester) writes in article
dated 7 May 2003
10:31:53 -0700:
so your saying that if i cut off a branch or stem of say my japanese
maple. then plant it in a pot of rich soil, it will grow roots and
thus a new tree is formed??

Your odds of getting roots (and therefore a cloned tree) are greatly
increased if you use a rooting hormone such as Roottone. Follow the
directions on the package.

does this work for all and any tree?

It works for most plants in general.

--Thundermaker$yahoo.com (Spud Demon)
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.