Old 11-05-2003, 02:20 AM
James Mayer

Default Vegetables for acid reflux sufferers?

"TomC" wrote in message news:01c3156c$dd074bc0$LocalHost@default...
Gardening time is here, but this year we have a problem. The wife has acid
reflux disease. We planted tomatos, peppers, green beans, lettuce, spinach,
zuccini, and a few other things in the past. We were really big into
tomatos and peppers..would you believe :-( Can anyone suggest different
varieties that have a low acid content or some ideas about vegetables to
plant that would be more tolerable for the wife. TIA.
TomC

I don't think that the acid content of the foods has very much to
do with it. My mother gets it with eggs, I get it with carrots,
caffein and orange Gatorade, and my sister gets it with some other
foods. Tomatoes don't bother me in the least as most other acid foods
including oranges and murcots don't either.
I think that experimenting around and finding out just which
foods cause the problem and avoiding or reducing the intake those
particular foods will reduce the discomfort more than avoidance of
acid foods unless it is a particular acid food that is causing the
problem in the first place.