Old 11-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Michael Jensen-Akula

Default [IBC] witches' brooms

i recently read in 'Maples for Gardeners' by CJ Van Gelderen, under
the section regarding Acer Palmatum 'Coonara Pygmy' that 'As often seen in
witches'-brooms, it is short lived and dies back suddenly...'....i have air
layed this cultivar, and roots came roaring out....both the (grafted) mother
plant and the airlayered progeny seem to be very hardy....what is the deal
with witches' brooms, and am i wasting my time working on them?...(I am also
air layering Shaina).....japanese maples in general seem to be naturallly
happy here in northern california.....thanks for any help in advance....mja,
oakland CA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++