Old 11-05-2003, 01:32 PM
swroot

Default dog faeces can it be added to compost heap

ned wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote:

[-]

At our old house on the mainland, the council sent sewage suction
tankers (not tractors and bowsers)on round trips of up to 70 miles

empty septic tanks and take the contents to sewage works. It cost
householders £27.

snip

I hear what you say Janet and I would not dream of questioning your
experience. But, believe me the practice of spreading the contents of
septic tanks on farmland is still current in my neighbourhood. Just as
you assumed from your experience that this no longer occurred, I, from
my experience, thought it to be a more 'widespread' practice than it
apparently is.

The sewage works merely concentrate the solids, they don't make the
stuff magically disappear. The resultant sludge may be burned, but this
is expensive and wasteful: the fertility is better returned to the soil.
So sewage companies are now (I understand) *paying* farmers to take the
sludge as agricultural fertiliser. It's more usual in truly rural areas,
as farmers spreading it near other people's houses are often inundated
with complaints about the smell (it's truly noxious).

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley