Old 11-05-2003, 04:20 PM
pelirojaroja

Default Garden design rules of thumb?

It seems that when one reads most container gardening books, they make the
same rather inane comments as one finds in art commentary. "The furry
leaves of the yada plant complement the striking flowers of the blah-blah
plant, making for a pleasing combination of so-and-so spilling over in a
frothy confection of . . . " I suspect they are making a lot of the BS up
so that they have something to write about.

Most multi-plant container designs incorporate something tall and/or spiky,
something mounding, and something trailing -- but even that gets ho-hum
after awhile.

Here is a decent "planting recipe" site that I have used before, when I was
first getting into the container gardening thing:
http://www.fernlea.com/awesomeaccents/recipes.html
(but the site will try to sell you stuff, so be warned).

As always, there are no real rules. Put stuff in pots, make sure you pick
the right plants for the light and temp. requirements, and see what works.

-- pelirojaroja

"Adam Schwartz" wrote in message
I'm curious about garden design. Are there any rules you all use to
plan your gardens (specifically pots)? For example:

Group flowers of the same color
Only one or two types of plants per pot
Mix certain colors (i.e. purple and yellow,, blue and red)
Use white sparingly
Group plants by texture
etc.

Thanks for the input,