Old 11-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default problem with my roses-need help

torgo wrote:
The geometry of the photo suggests Cass and Radika are correct (as
always - no surprise there at all) and that damage from rain or other
liquid is the prime suspect.

Torgo, you are absolutely right about Cass, she is a gem; as for me, it
is a great overstatement (just ask my husband who is laughing at me for
wanting a Garden Claw for cultivation - heheheh - but he is indulgent
and I have a brand new one today!), but I am grateful for your kindness
in saying so. Thanks!

I really do think it is very likely water damage in Me's rose. I enjoyed
reading your mental origami and your description of how water damage
happens starting with an unfurled bud.

We have had more untimely rain in California, even in SoCal, this spring
than we can remember from the last seven years running. OTOH, the first
wild fire has already started in New Mexico, so we should not compalin
about the rain.

It is bright and sunny now, but sigh ... more rain is on its way later
in the week. I am just going to have to make hay while the sun shines
and go cultivate the soil where I got rid of a whole lot of St. John's
Wort (a pestilential but gorgeous plant, never ever plant it unless you
have some acreage to cover) around my beautiful Susan Louise (a hybrid
Rosa gigantea). The husband can laugh all he wants, but when one does
not have the muscle mass to use a spade for cultivating the soil, a
smaller person needs better tools. The Garden Claw Gold works so
beautifully that I think I am going to be thankful for its purchase for
a long time to come!

--
Radika
California