Old 11-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Anthony E Anson

Default Wild Garlic

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Anthony E Anson contains these words:
The message
from "Colin Davidson" contains these words:

Yes, though certain mainly ignorant but influential voices are
trying to
get legislation enacted that will effectively prevent anyone from
picking fungi.

Really?

'Fraid so. I've got a news cutting stashed awai in a heap somewhere or
other.

Isn't that also because commercially minded pickers have been
stripping "wild" colonies? I know a woodland area within reach of
Glasgow which was regularly targetted by a vanload of pickers who were
supplying upmarket restaurants; without the land owner's consent.

That's probably what triggered the campaign, but there should be found
be better ways of controlling that particular menace.

In Scotland, there isn't a law of common trespass, and provided you do
no damage, or remove the owner's property, there's nothing in law
(AFAIK, BICBW) to prevent the wholesale looting of fungi. In England at
least, they are not considered the property of the landowner, just as
treasure trove bypasses him.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi