Old 11-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Repeating Decimal

Default Help re. Citrus tree planting

in article , Scott McCall at
wrote on 5/11/03 8:56 AM:

2) Tag says use Acid fertilizer. We know
lime would be alkali, but what is acid? The
trees include pine, which I think acidifies the
soil, such that azaleas love it. We are open
to any and all advice here.

I live in California, so I am not familiar with Florida conditions.
Elemental sulfur will be acid in time. Gypsum, calcium sulfate in more time
will do the same. Ammonium sulfate is acidic. Acid phosphates will be acid.
Although, I do not know for sure, this suggests using potassium dihydrogen
phosphate in order to get potassium as well. Ammonium nitrate is acid but if
you use it, you may be pegged as a terrorist.

If willing to pay more but not outrageously, Miracle-Gro makes a number of
acid fertilizers. I think that Peter or Peters makes a competing product.
The both are owned or were owned by Scott, the grass fertilizer company.

Bill