Old 11-05-2003, 06:56 PM
SugarChile

Default pill bugs

First of all, we're not all "pros"--a lot of us are just garden obsessive
dilettantes. Second, there are few silly questions. No one can know it all,
and the answer often depends on circumstances.

A year ago, I would have said that the pill bugs are harmless and feed only
on decaying plant matter. I've read here, though, that some people
experience damage to growing plants, and I'm willing to concede it's
possible. I keep a year round mulch of leaves and straw on my vegetable
beds, so perhaps my pillbugs have plenty to eat without straying into the
vegetables themselves. Or perhaps the birds, of which I have plenty, gobble
any that show themselves.

I wouldn't worry about yours too much unless you have a lot of plant damage
that can't be attributed to something else, like slugs.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"norma" wrote in message
This may be a silly question to you pro's, but are those little pill
bugs (no idea what the latin name is) good or bad in the garden? As you
may have guessed-I have them.