Old 11-05-2003, 07:57 PM
zxcvbob

Default Spag. Sauce Canning Question

"Bob Elliott" wrote in message
om...
Hello gardening and canning experts,

I have a question regarding canning homemade spaghetti sauce.
Normally I do the following steps to make it.

1. Skin tomatoes
2. liquefy skinned tomatoes in blender
3. mix with other ingredients and boil down to thicken
4. process in canner

However, I have discovered that if I put the tomatoes in a large bowl
after step 2 (liquefy in blender) the mixture seperates. A clear,
yellowish liquid forms at the top, all the red meaty stuff sinks to
the bottom. If I spoon off the top liquid layer and dispose of it,
step 3 (boil down to thicken) takes a lot less time. Am I losing
any nutrients, taste, good stuff, etc by excluding the liquid from the
mixture ? Is it a good idea / bad idea ?
Any ideas ?

Boiling down is the most time consuming and risky (scorchwise) step.
If I can make that step easier I'm all for it but I don't want to risk
hurting the quality of the final product.

Thanks, Bob Elliott

Discard it??? No! Find something to do with it; it has most of the water
soluble vitamins and a lot of flavor.

When I thaw frozen tomatoes I get a lot of clearish yellow juice. I usually
mix some of it back into the tomato pulp, and the rest I usually use to make
a clear soup -- tomato serum, beef bouillon cube, chiletepin peppers (or
other extremely hot pepper), and a little garlic. Or freeze it again and
add it next time I make vegetable soup. I haven't tried cooking rice in it
yet.

Best regards,
Bob