Old 12-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Vox Humana

Default Cannas and Planting Started Plants

"Bob H" wrote in message
I'm in zone 4 and our last frost date is listed as May 15th.

When should I put my cannas I started in pots in the house in the ground?

I've put them out in full sun on the porch during the day when it's been +60
and sunny. Do I need to do anything else to break them in to outdoor
exposure?

They're about 6" tall and have two leafs open.

I also have some dormant roots that I have not started yet. Could these be
put in the ground at this time?

You can plant the rhizomes now. They will just sit there until the soil
warms, but it is generally OK to plant them two weeks before the last frost.
I wouldn't plant the potted plants until after the last frost date. They
will also probably just sit there until it gets hot, but then stand back!