Old 12-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Shiva

Default buds are starting to swell

On Sun, 11 May 2003 21:50:59 -0400, Henry
wrote:

I bought Pat Austin (for which I have to blame Shiva).

I was marveling at this rose today. Wonderful color gradations and as
it ages, even some blushing at the outer petal edges. I will be
interested to know what you think of the scent. And how you would
characterize it!

-- I planted that and New Dawn (a gift from someone at work) this afternoon.

You must be well liked at work! I planted my New Dawn last fall as a
small potted grafted rose. It was among the last to bloom, is just now
half full of buds with perhaps 10-15 blooms. What I love about it--the
dainty, dark green, slightly rounded leaves, the floriferousness, and
the medium rosy scent. There is an example of this rose that grows on
the grounds of the NC Governor's Mansion, so I had occasion to watch
its habits for ten years or so. Although on the north side of the
building and fairly severely pruned every year, it was the first thing
to bloom in the spring and the last to bloom each fall, sometimes
giving blossoms as late as December. I liked it so much I could not
believe my luck the day I looked down and saw the metal J&P tag at the
base! This rose gets big if you let it, but does quite well if you
don't. Up in Maryland your mileage may indeed vary. I think this was
the first patented rose?