Old 12-05-2003, 08:57 AM
G a e X a v i er

Default Poison Oak?

When I did my research, this area (central Texas) was not included in the
poison oak range. The odd thing is that poison ivy has various leaf forms
and sometimes the leaves look more like what an "oak" leaf looks like so
people think that is what they are seeing.

Here are two poison ivy plants in my back yard. They almost look like two
different plants, but they are not. They are both poison ivy from what I
read an understood. The leaf shapes are variable on poison ivy, so...

It is all over my 1/2 acre, but I am not allergic, or at least I have not
developed and allergy to it YET. You can be not allergic and have no
reaction and then with frequent contact with it or anything else become
highly allergic.

http://home.austin.rr.com/libralove/...PoisonIvy.html

Best to All -- Gae

"N. Woolley" wrote:

Poison ivy (& oak) does have berries. ALL parts of the plant have the
awful irritating oils, even stems roots and berries. Poison ivy is
pretty in the fall, if it just weren't so dern nasty.

I've asked a botanist at the Wildflower Center about the poison ivy or
poison oak question and neither of us could figure out which was which
or if both grow here or if it even matters. Poison ivy was Rhus
toxicodendron and then was changed to Toxicodendron radicans and as far
as I know, poison oak botanically is included under that name. It all
makes me itch!

-Nancy