Old 12-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Anthony E Anson

Default Fig Tree - C'mon, people - help!

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

If it isn't Brown Turkey you won't get any fruit - Brown Turkey (and its
varieties) is the only self-fertile fig AFAIK.

I think that's not quite right. I've seen a list of about 3 named
varieties for sale in the UK, and round the back of the natural History
Museum in S Kensington there used to be a rather large tree with round
bluer figs which was totally unlike BT. Pretty tasteless, though - I
quickly found out why they'd lasted so far into the season without
anyone picking them.

ITYF even that was a variety of Brown Turkey. All the books I've read on
fig growing have said that Brown Turkey was the only self-fertile
variety. Maybe they meant the only worthwhile one, but that's not how it
came across.

Now I'm debating on whether to grow my Brown Turkey in an enclosed pit,
or in a big container above ground level.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi